Print-mixing Kalle blouse

 My online sewing community (Sewing Pattern Review) has monthly contests and monthly sew-alongs. Sometimes these are themes that don't immediately fit into my planned queue, but I end up making new favourites!

in original state
September's contest was print-mixing. As a rule not something I would do. But I looked through my Ghana haul, and thought no - too busy, not something I would wear much.


But then my hands pulled out my katazome sample pieces - (the pieces made using stencils and paste-resist method). These were orphan pieces - not big enough to do anything with, until I thought they would definitely work as a patchwork project.

At first I was not sure how to cut and piece them - I was leaning towards squares and rectangles but could not get my head around how I would want to cut and piece them.

I was also leaning towards another Santorini tank - using the pieced sections on the centre front and centre back. I would be using remnants from the white Kalle (linen) and Australia-daughter's blue Santorini (ramie) for the accents.

A discussion with my local frock-friends came up with a simple piecing solution - long strips.


all pieced together


So the plan was to cut the pieces into strips along their full length and flat fell them together. That took some time, since my sewing time was limited by work and fatigue in the evenings! But I eventually had a full piece. I was also worrying about fitting the pattern pieces onto this new fabric - they were longer than the pieces I had made.

In the meantime, from thinking it over too much, THAT particular project started to bore me, so I made a flash decision to go to plan B - the cropped Kalle. And before I could change my mind I cut out the back! I also decided on the front - one half blue and one half white.

flat felled seams eliminate raw edges
As I contined to cut out the other pieces, I realized that I did not have a blue piece big enough. This was lucky, because I am very happy with the piecing I did by adding the remaining stripped piece to the bottom third. It ties it all together, I think!

I hesitated about the collar, the yoke and the cuffs. 

Blue was a better fit for the yoke (the yoke facing is white).

The collar I did blue on the inside and white on the outside.

And eventually decided on two identical cuffs - blue, to tie it all together.

discreet slip stitching - not visible at all!

Top-stitching collars and cuffs is often hit or miss - it often does not line up neatly with the inside edges. So I decided  to use the new-to-me 'discreet' slip-stitch. I learned this while sewing my jackets in Japan - you barely see the thread! I used this on the inside of the collar AND the cuffs. I considered top-stitching afterwards, but don't need it.

The cropped version of the Kalle is a little bit revealing at the belly. I plan to be okay with that!🤣


 














Comments

  1. Very clever work around for a terrific top. Congrats on your finished item. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent use of that lovely fabric - creative piecing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!