Tote bag with instructions, Matchy Matchy loungewear

TOTE BAGS 

(I had trouble formatting photos today, so there is a bit of awkward placement!)

Finished bags

I actually sewed these before my LAST post, but forgot about them (they are already in the suitcase awaiting proper packing!)











During our last visit to Japan in 2018, I received as a gift two tote bags. One is perfect for groceries, and one a good little book bag, or general tote. The small tote is trapezoid-shaped, and has an inner facing, with a zip at the bottom of the facing. Love this detail! On that trip I had also purchased a small piece of light canvas which has squares on one side and polka-dots on the other (cutest stuff!), and eventually realized I could copy the tote bag pattern and make it up in this fabric. Both of those get a lot of use, and I thought such a tote bag would make a good hostess gift (for the hostess to whom I already sent pillow-cases for Christmas!). 
see the cute, double-sided fabric!
facing and zipper







So I bought some upholstery fabric and some webbing, and whipped up two bags. Not sure who will get the second one, or if I will keep it, but it is made,

I am happy to share construction techniques for this pattern... these are adapted from the instructions I wrote in my PR review.

what to cut

  • cut 2 identical trapezoid shapes (mine is about 18 inches/45 cm at the top, and 15.5 inches, 39 cm at the bottom)
  • use top of bag to trace a facing for top of bag; (about 2.5 inches/6cm deep; otherwise trace top of trapezoid exactly).
  • decide on the handles; mine are each about 21 inches/53 cm. 
  • options for handles:
    • waistbands from discarded trousers, 
    • cut from your fabric (finished size about 1.25 inches, 3cm, don't forget seam allowance);
    • purchased webbing
  • decide if you want an internal or external pocket, cut to your desired size. (Useful as an inner pocket to place a credit card, bus ticket, or a phone...)
zipper:
  • baste bottom (shorter) edge of trapezoid facings together; (not the ends)
  • sew in zipper to this same side, remove basting.
pocket
  • sew pocket piece (if using) to the desired placement;
    inner pocket

assembly
  • sew sides and bottom of bag pieces right sides together,
  • sew sides of facing pieces right sides together.
  • with zipper open, place long edge of facing to top of bag, right sides together
  • prepare handles
  • insert handles as desired BETWEEN facing and bag (being sure that main handle is on outside of bag, not towards inside; when you sew it will probably be 'inside' the bag, though... make sense?
finishing
  • flatten and stitch
    this is tricky to explain: on inside, fold a triangle at bottom corners, flatten it, lining up bottom seam and side seam, and sew across, in order to create a squared bottom... approximately 1 inch 2.5 cm from the corner (see photos)
  • topstitch around top of bag.
  • I think that is it!

  • from another angle




  • two new bags



Royal Dutch official travel outfit.... definitely not pyjamas!

So I finished this outfit. and I really love it.
And although some people might wear such an outfit out in public (usually celebreties, I think, c.f. Queen Maxima), I would not. But, it would be comfy for travelling😉. Although my travelling companions would probably disown me.

To recap the story: I was going to make PJs with this lovely Liberty print quilting cotton. The 2024 Pattern Review contests were announced, and the theme for March was Matchy Matchy (apparently a fashion trend this year. Who am I to argue?!), so I decided to wait until March to make this outfit - I certainly have enough other projects to keep me busy. Then the contest rules were announced - no sleepwear. So I pivoted to 'loungewear', and another member posted this photo of Queen Maxima of Holland, wearing a Matchy Matchy print in public (perhaps travelling?). So I nicknamed my project my Royal Dutch official visit outfit... And then I thought, since I will be travelling KLM (Royal Dutch Airline) in June... I COULD wear it.

Ottawa-daughter quickly put that idea to rest when she refused to even photograph me in the driveway for the photo-shoot!

HOWEVER... I will be visiting friends in their homes, as well as participating in some communal living in the near future, so spiffy looking loungewear might be de rigueur!










The details
I used two Liberty quilting cottons: Flower Show for my main, and Cosmos for the contrast.

The pants are the Carolyn PJ bottoms by Closet Core, which I have made a number of times before. I should actually adjust the pattern, because they are a tad short waisted in the back!  I used the contrast for the slightly visible pockets, the waist tie and the flat piping at the cuff. (As well as the Hong Kong binding along the crotch and fly seams. I did French seams, of course, elsewhere).

The top is also Closet Core, but not the Carolyn top. It is the Kalle top, with sleeve extensions. I think that I have adjusted this pattern a bit - I don't use the tunic layout, but a shortened dress version. The tunic 'tail' is too narrow, and too difficult to hold out of the way when necessary! I used the contrast for the inner yoke, the inner collar band and upper collar piece, as well as the cuffs and cuff plackets.

Oh goodness... speaking of the cuff plackets...
 
Closet Core's instructions show the right side of the fabric in white, and wrong side in gray, contrary to many other patterns instructions. I wish I could blame my mishap on that, but that was only a small part of it! Basically, I did a nice job on the first cuff placket, and decided to psyche up before tackling the next one. Then I got confused about which side to sew what to (part of the problem is that I had to do the mirror image of the drawing, and although I knew that, I still did not), so I got it sewn AND did the slash before realising it was on the wrong side. I managed to unstitch it, and using fusible interfacing, reattach the slash temporarily, but then still made a mistake... now it was inside out (but the right side of the fabric was showing.) SO instead of risking more mess by undoing it, I appliquéd a pretent placket to the outside. Creative problem solving!  

I used an alternate technique for the collar installation, as well... in the constant search for a technique which hides all the little raw edges. Namely I combined these two tutorials:
 
Grainline Archer tutorial I used the tuck-in method here (a kind of burrito method to go around the end of the collar band 
Sew Sew Live tutorial: I used her suggestion to cut back some of the seam allowances (but NOT the neck edge... I left that, then cut down only the inner pieces, allowing me enough fabric to tuck in the seam allowance on the outside. I also sewed the collar and band to the inside, and tucked in on the outside, as she suggests.

Happy with the outfit - but wondering - will I want to wear it as PJs, or actually wear the top as a shirt?! I have been wanting to replace a coordinated PJ set with button-up front for a while, so I think I will keep it as loungewear/PJs, and it will definitely be packed for the upcoming Great Adventure!  
 

 


Next up

Working on the burda dress muslin for Australia daughter - very fitted, so complex work. Not to mention the instructions are in German - and I am not convinced the German is clear! Never mind the garbled translations! I will be winging it on my own for this! Stay tuned!

I have decided to delay the kilt upcycle - I don't want to rush it, so will put it until after my travels. Sorry, CB!


Comments