Sienna tartan upcycle FINISHED; Atenas jeans jacket started; not so cozy slippers!

 I have finished and delivered the Closet Core Sienna maker jacket for my friend out of her kilt. There was very little fabric left after the construction!

I am satisfied with it. I think it looks great.

BTW, the tartan is Macdonald, for those who are interested!





Insides nicely finished

pure scotish wool tag

inside front

cute tag, with extra button on back!



I love this side pocket

The back buttoned vent

  

Sleeves rolled up reveal "cuff" facing 


ATENAS Jeans Jacket

For this I am using the corduroy from the Fabric flea market I bought. I had washed it and aired it out, but.... when I apply heat there is still a musty smell... Fingers crossed it eventually goes away!

So far I have the back pieces put together, and most of the front. I have put the side, inset and centre front pieces together, and dont the chest pocket and flap.

flat-felled seam
concave and conve edges

I had a bit of confusion about the flat-felled seams. It is hard to describe in words, but here goes. In a true flat-felled seam, one piece is offset by (in my case 1/2 inch), the overhang folded over, and both of those pieces folded over and a stitching line sewn. Then the pieces are separated, and the folded seam is pressed in order to enclose the raw edge. When you have pieces that are curved (like a princess seam), it would seam natural to offset the concave piece, but then I ended up having to fold the seam in the wrong direction. So I did it the non-intuitive way, and it worked out fine!

flat-felled seam goes wrong way

I am top-stitching with jeans top-stitching thread (and regular thread in the bobbin), using the Juki. It is going fine... so far the machine is handling what I need to sew. It was a bit tricky going over the seams, but with a little cheating (just raising the needle and presser foot and physically pulling it forward a notch) I have been successful. So far!

not so COZY CLOUD slippers

half-sole base
I decided to try making slippers; the August Pattern review pop-up is footwear, and other accessories, and I will need a pair of winter slippers, so I downloaded this free pattern. The pattern is okay, but you do get what you pay for.

I used some of the same corduroy for the outer, some discarded brown jeans for the inner, various fleece for the inter lining. I used some golden ponte-knit left over from pants made in the spring for the heel part. Finally I added a half-sole base for anti-slip.

sadly inside-out slipper
I mis-understood one instruction, and ended up with one inside-out slipper. I did the second one correctly, but will not resew the first one. What with clipping and grading seams, I figured it would not work out. In any case, they are both a bit snug around the big toe. This could be because the heel part (ponte knit) is not quite stretchy enough.... but who knows, since stretch needed is not indicated in the instructions!

the nearly finished pair


inside out
I just need to hand-sew the pull-through openings for them to be done, but can attach a photo here.

Comments