Weekly update - Mitchells, T-shirt, RTW knock-off progress, upcycle.

No complete projects this week, but forward motion on several!

Today's purchases: rayon knit, cotton-linen wovens
Ottawa daughter tried on muslin 1 and we were able to draft muslin 2 and try it on. (I did not get a photo of muslin 2). Muslin 2 looked much better, but was a bit low under the arm-pits and a bit shorter than desired. I have drafted the next iteration AND we purchased some cute cotoon/linen fabric for it! (The blue/beige check in the photo).


Crupo - not cut very straight from the bold!
I also made some progress on the Mitchells. I got the front pocket on one side mostly done. I still need to add the pleat, but can't do that until I cut and sew the  'tab'. I did a pretty good job at matching the stripes (the horizontal ones, anyway! I ahd purchased some Crupo (some weird new fabric) for the pocket linings. It was slithery and slippery, so hard to cut properly. Even the shop assistant had trouble cutting it (check out the wild curve!)

Muslin 1










The other project I kind of worked on was taking apart the red silk duster jacket which a frock-friend here in Ottawa has given me to do with as I please. I decided that it would make a nice Kalle shirt, the cropped version. So I unstitched it, and, not sure if it had been pre-treated before she made her duster jacket, I cut out two pieces the same size, in order to put one under hot water and then compare. As I had it under the water it started to run. I realized I needed to do something! So I soaked it some Rit Dye fixative I had left over from another project, then put it the wash.

The washing machine's rubber gasket in the door is now permanently pink, but it is stable - a white cloth thrown in with the rinse I gave it came out white. Check out the colour of the water that came out! The fabric itself is very slightly lighter, but still a gorgeous red!




Final project for the weekend was to cut out a t-shirt for the resident entomologist. I had purchase some knit online, hoping to make a light summer pullover (like the Jalie 2212 I made  him just after Christmas, see here if you are interested). But it was too t-shirt weight. So I am using the T-shirt pattern included with Jalie 2212). That should be a quick sew! I might do a bit more this evening.







Comments