Mix & match PJs

 I managed to finish the PJs this weekend. Even though these are straightforward patterns, which I have made multiple times, it still takes a while to get them sewn.

Especially when you make silly mistakes, and then the same mistake again!

I find this crinkly type fabric just a bit of a challenge to sew, if only because I am never sure how to press it! 





Carolyn PJ pants

I used the crinkly cotton for this, and remnants from the tank-top project for Ottawa daughter, for the contrast. No adventures, but all of the inside edges are nicely finished, so it takes time. I used HongKong binding for the CB back seam, as well as the faux-fly detail. I used French seams for the inseams and side seams. All other seams are nicely tucked into a band (waistband and cuffs.) I also added flat piping to the cuff.

They look nice; they feel a bit stiff, and rough. I wonder if they will soften with wearing and washing.

Kelly Watch the stars top

I think there are a couple of things I need to do to finesse this top. The bust darts are 'off'. And I should remember to stay-stich the neck area. It is a very wide neck opening, and usually lays flat enough... but not when I make a silly error! (More on that in a moment.)

I had to piece the back in three pieces. Both front and back are normally cut on the fold in one piece. I was able to cut the front in one piece. Then I had enough to cut one half of the back, and then I had to cut the other half in two pieces. I really thought I had matched the plaid. But nope! Apparently not on that top or bottom piece.

Then I sewed the front yoke to the wrong side of the bodice. Had to unpick that and resew (all these mistakes also add to the time it takes!)

Then I pinned and sewed the neck binding on before noticing I had sewn it to the wrong side. I did not feel like unstitcing that, so decided to make it a design feature, and fold it to the right side. It looks fine. But it does look a bit stretched out!

I had decided to use a bigger variety of presser feet after last month's pop-up sew along on presser feet. But I had trouble with the edge-stitch foot today. An edge-stitch foot has a 'rudder' which runs along your seam (for example), and helps you stitch straight - for top=stitching. I could not figure out why I could only use this foot by adjusting the needle to the left. It really made it awkward to stitch, since it was the wrong side.

Only afterwards did I realize that I was using the blind-stitch foot, not the edge-stitch foot. I corrected that for the hem binding 😀

I also broke two needles! Switching from the edge-stitch foot to the 1/4 inch foot I forgot to put the needle back to the middle, so it hit the presser foot and broke. I can't remember how the other one broke.... 

Pencil case

I also sewed up a little pencil case for my student teacher (to go with a set of 4 white-board pencils ).




Aren't the clamatis lovely in the background?







Comments

  1. Your pajamas are fab! I love the fabric combination. Piping on the cuffs looks great. Oh my, I'm feeling so jelly. I want some just like these! You really do a fabulous job making the insides so nice, so they will last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. These are two great pattern staples, fairly easy to tidy up the inner pieces. And quick enough to make for a seasoned sewist!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pj’s Danielle, I’m really enjoying your blog and it was lovely to meet you today! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for "visiting" Michelle; hope to be in touch for more sewing talk!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!