Amazing technicolour dreamcoat

Early in the weekend, I am hoping that by the end of the weekend this project will be complete!

As usual I procrastinated Saturday morning, but got to it in the afternoon.

I spent much of the rest of the weekend working on it, and I can announce that it is finished.

I think I have abandoned the idea of coating it with beeswax; I need some practice with that technique first.

I really think I love it; will I wear it confidently in public - maybe!


So this weekend I needed to finish the collar and facing, then the sleeves, the hem, and the snaps.

I ended up using the JukiDX7 for most of the jacket. It was a good choice for this project, since I had to go over so many thick seams. It only got caught at one spot, on the back above the vent; I had to redo it, and it is a bit wobbly.  (I should have used the darker thread there...).

When topstitching the hem and the facing I did switch colours on the top for the light and dark sections, and I sewed from the exterior.

Sleeve header

I really wanted the sleeves to sit nicely at the shoulder. I did some research about sleeve heads, and found several different approaches. None of them were explicit about what to do after sewing it in, though!
This short clip from Threads   (short, not enough detail.)

This clip from Sewessential (I like this method; I used it for one side, and I think I will use it in the future.)

The problem was getting the seam allowance to sit towards the sleeve - with the thick intersections from the flat felling, it did not want to stay!

For the sleeves, I added a facing at the hem so that I can turn them up if I want. 

I serged then topstiched one of the sleeve seams, and the other one I used Hong Kong binding. On one side I was smart and used the burgundy at the botom, to coincide with the facing. For the other side I did not do this and have this flowery binding showing if I roll it up!

I love the sleeve pockets, but, aside maybe from a walkie talkie when I am on yard duty, not sure what I will put in them! My phone fits - just - in my welt pocket!






I am getting good at installing snaps, but they are tricky over those thick seam intersections!

I do like the pattern, and the Amazing technicolour dreamcoat is a fun addition to my closet!



Inner patch pocket

Oops, a bit blurry

Inner view of welt pocket


Comments

  1. Looking forward to seeing this out in the wild! DB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!