Disappointment deconstructed!

 As I quietly predicted, I have not advanced to round 3 of the Pattern Review sewing bee. I am happy to have made it into round 2, and have thoughts about my lack of success this round. Let me start by saying that although I am disappointed, I am not suprised. The quality and creativity of the other entries awed me as they began coming in. I begrudge nobody who moved forward!  I am not sure if this link is open to non-members, but here is a link to the Round 2 entry gallery

So my disappointment is more in the quality of my entry. 

Discuss:

What might have gotten me through:

  • unique: Nobody else had selected a collar of this type. One entry had a sculptured, shaped collar, but it was unique on its own, even though it looked like a cutout. Complex! So my selection, although I did not invent it, was the only one similar.
  • complexity; I believe my collar was complex to construct. (Or,maybe not for others... but it took me a little while to get my head around it!)
Where I needed to improve:
  • Photos: Although I went outside for good lighting, it was late in the day, there were shadows and it was cold. So it was hurried! The lighting WAS good, but it also highlighted some flaws. And although I saw these in time, I could not face fixing it up and redoing the photos. It did not look well pressed in the photos. One of the front edges was folded over the wrong way. The top looked uneven...
  • Centre back seam: this did not fall right. It would not have been difficult to shape it a bit more.
  • Sleeves: These were a gathered sleeve. While I gathered it well enought to fit well, and distributed the gathers fairly well, I did not do a very nice job sewing them in. So the sleeve head does not look crisp. Also, and I actually had this same problem when I used this sleeve for the fitted shirts I made, the bicep does not fall nicely, and looks too big.  I only noticed this in the photos. At which point there was not much I felt I could do! 
  • Design/creativity: DB was right - this was not the best combination. The collar got lost. It was not horrible, but the 'overall impression' was a bit dull. And... I should have tried harder to make a better tie. I don't love the leather thong. And frankly, let me be honest with myself. There was not much creativity in this design. I took a design I had seen online, I paired it with a pattern I had, and made no other changes... 
All in all, a fun experiene. Even before the bee I knew that I would have trouble with the creative element. It takes me some time to come up with creative ideas. For one of the collars I would like to have made I would have needed more time to develop the idea, and decide what to make with it. Granted, other sewists faced this same challenge - full time work, family life, and nailed it. I don't usually sew this creatively, which is why the bee is fun. It pushed me to make two garments I would never have made in that way! Different even from contests, which tend to be less prescriptive. I DO like the prescription!

New project
I finally figured out what to do with that bamboo jersey. The pale creamy yellow one that I dyed. That fabric just sat there mocking me, and I thought I would have to make tonnes of undies all in the same fabric. Then I realized I need a new top for sleeping! So that is what I did yesterday. I made Jalie 2805 with long sleeves and jewel-neck. I made it larger than the previous make, so that it would be less form fitting. Somewhat!

A note about dyeing fabric. I dyed the dress I made crimson (let's call it raspberry pie!). And then I dyed some viscose gray (for the Mart skirt.) I tossed the remainder of the bamboo into the dye bath. Of course there was not much colour particles left, but enough to make this a more wearable colour for me. Again - somewhat!




I was wearing one of the previous makes and thought " this is super long. I should shorten the new one." Famous last words. I should have just left it. I think I was worried that I might have some trouble fitting the sleeves on the fabric if I did not. I think it would not have been a problem... So I finished it, and also cut out a pair of the Myfit undies (to make pair number 2.) The photo on me is not especially flattering but I am including it anyway!












Next project
Publicity for Sabrina slims from internet
And am currently starting on the Sabrina slims pants. They are a knit, cigarette-style pant. I have some gold (or toffee?)-coloured ponte to make them in. Hoping they will go nicely with my Kalle Kimono upcycle, as well as my burgundy dupioni silk coat. I struggled to find where the instructions were. (They were at the beginning of the print-at-home page, but I printed at the copy shop, so did not see this.) I will make a muslin, but it will not be the same stretch as the ponte. Hopefully it will be informative enough. I want to get the pattern traced and maybe the muslin cut out today. 

I also want to get my rain pants done in March, so that they are ready when cycling season restarts.

Comments

  1. There will always be another challenge! Congrats on stretching your creative muscle and completing the project to the deadline. Photography is always tricky - you are brave! DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really interested in your collar - how you managed to construct it seemed a mystery, and very complex. The photos didn't do it justice, which is a shame because it's a very creative piece of work.

    You are brave to tackle cigarette pants! You really have to have the fit dialed in perfectly to pull them off. I look forward to reading about it! (now that I have a blog feed aggregator set up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue - thanks for visiting! I will work on photo skills. And will see what happens with the pants - the muslin is nearly done!

      Delete
  3. I ha e rarely analyzed what i did wrong and can see it’s a useful process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!