Sewing-adjacent activities between projects

 I had a bit too much other stuff to do this week, (preparing for report cards), so I did not want to start anything new after finishing the Brownie dress/tunic.

However, I have a longer term project on the go my crazy, amazing, technicolour dreamcoat. Always on the lookout for things to do with scraps of various sizes, I have had in my mind some kind of patchwork garment for a while. I finally have gotten started on it... in the organizing, anyway.

Last week I began working on scraps. I have a plan, dividing scraps into size; depending on how it can be cut the following way:

6 x 6 inch squares (for the dreamcoat)

5 x 5 inch squares (just because)

3 x 3 inch squares

2 X 2 inch sqares.

The smaller ones will just be sewn into biger and bigger 'squares (2x2,). I would like to make those into dust-covers for the machines (i.e. the serger, the Juki, and maybe the White). Also, bags. They will be pretty randomly assembled!

just laying it all out to get a peek
For the dreamcoat, the plan is to sew them together bojagi style (flat-felled, no raw edge on either side). This meant that I won't want to line the coat! So I have identified the pattern: the Closet Core Sienna chore coat; view C - the shorter version with the button placket on the back. What I really like about this coat, for some reason, is the sleeve pockets! I need about 2 metres of 150 cm width fabric. I think that means about 120 squares. Cutting them is the easy part! It is the painstaking sewing together which will take time!

the pile, so far.
For this assembly method you sew two pieces together, slightly offset, then press it open, then fold the larger edge over the shorter edge, then fold that in to hide the raw edges... as I said long and painstaking!

I spent time cutting these various squares, and even sewed some of the 2 x 2 inch squares into 2 X 2 piece squares.

But I did get tired of sorting through the messy bag of scraps identifying the size. So I  attacked the big messy bag of scraps. I laid a sheet on the bed to catch the threads, and dumped it all there to sort it out. 

I put knits together in one bag, hoping to make some 'scrappy' undies soon.

I put slippy things in another, to use as lining bits, pocket facings, etc.

I put my larger pieces together to either use for the dreamcoat, or future similar projects

I put the smaller pieces together for my patchwork projects.

And... of course there were discards. As I gazed at the discards, worrying about sending stuff to the landfill, and knowing that there were projects in my future that would require stuffing, I recalled something I had read just recently on Pattern Review about door stoppers!

We have an inner door, separating our entry way and inner hallway that we have propped open with random objects of inadequate suitability for the past few years. I had originally knit a 'sausage' like shape and stuffed it with a rolled up towel when we needed to keep the door closed and the gap blocked; that item got quite worn and had to be repurposed. I was fed up with the door not staying put. Sure, we could remove the door (as we have done with all of our closet doors, in spite of the dust!), but then where would we hang things?

So I took a leg off of a pair of pants (from the repurpose pile), sewed up one end, made it more rectangular, and stuffed it full. One of my Pattern Review friends, Carol, suggested adding a shoe 😁 Fabric scraps are quite heavy, as I have learned when making my dressform and a scrap-stuffed pouffe (idea from Closet Core), so this will have sufficient weight to hold the door in place! And it used up most of that bag of discards! (there is still another messy bag of discards from the past year or so... I wonder if anyone I know needs a door stop sausage?!) I also still have more piles to organize, but one bit at a time!


Another thing I did this week was to add rivets to my denim/leather pouch. The pocket seam was coming undone, and I did not relish the thought of sewing it (because of course I have to sew on the inside of the pocket. But a pattern review member posted a review of leather and denim apron, and I noticed she used rivets to secure weak points. Brilliant! And of course I have rivets left over from the jeans. For some reason knowing I had a longer term solution made that pesky sewing task less daunting! The little tab and ring had fallen off as well, so this was reattached with a rivet, too.

Looking forward to deciding my next make: either get to work on my rain pants, or make up the "sabrina slims" knit pants (for which I first need to trace the pattern and make a muslin!)
But first - report cards!








Comments