Kimono refashion

 I finished the Kimono refashion. I must admit that while I was sewing it I felt like I was working on a Priest's robe (the colour and texture), and at another point it was looking like a bowling shirt. 

I DO like the final product. The back is a bit longer than I would like, but any shorter would not have suited the design, so it works!

cuff placket
The Kalle is a good pattern - easy to work with. The tower placket at the sleeve cuff is always a bit tricky. It is hard to get the pieces to lie flat when you fold them over each other. I did a practice, and then folded the paper pattern piece on the fold lines to see exactly where it should line up. That was a good plan!

I used a shirt my dad had had made in Thailand. It was supposed to be silk, but a burn test contradicted that. I used it anyway for the under collar, back of the collar band and the less-visible part of the cuffs.

I used a technique I discovered on CLoset core to turn out the collar and cuff corners. You catch the corner stitch with thread, and then pull the thread through when you put it right-side out. It usually works very well!

paint and appliqué
somewhat misaligned
I am a BIT disappointed that I was not more careful lining up the front and back (the drawing continues); not sure what happened... did I just not think? Oh well.

Overall, wearing this shirt does feel luxurious, and will look good either dressed 'down' or 'up'. I bought some gold-coloured Ponte to make a pair of trousers to wear with this. (Because obviously, I don't have enough projects in my queue! 😉)




another muslin
I also made some changes to the fitted blouse pattern, and made up another fitting muslin. I think this works much better. I found a good video-tutorial on lowering the bust apex on a princess seam. I also did a 'small bicep adjusment.' The bodice seems to fit better; the sleeve is now too tight. I think I will just keep it as the original; I DO need to be able to move my arm, afterall.

I did try to add an underarm gusset to see if that helped. (As discussed on this open access threads article). It did not seem to make much of a difference; perhaps I made the gusset too small, but I think that there is too much room to make a mess. I don't know how I would work in the French seams if I DID add a gusset, in any case! SO we will put that technique on hold for anothe project.


 I also finished another rug. This one for Ottawa daughter -either for her boots or for Ziggy. I love making these rugs. I wish I had done the colours differently, but Ziggy won't care!









Comments