Bogagi piecing...

 Still in sewing slow motion... I have not found the perfect moment for the buttonhole on my jeans, and not much time to start anything new.

But, I was inspired by an entry on the Pattern Review sewing bee final round (Samstress sewed a beautiful duster-type coat in a beautiful stained glass effect with triangles... very precise sewing!-  check out her review here.  She uses a method inspired by Korean piecing called bogagi, or pogagi. I had actually followed a Closet Core tutorial and made a window ... dressing (?) using this method and various scraps. (See photo left) (So could easily imagine how much work Samstress' project was!)


Anyway, for whatever reason I did not want the remnants of my linen gauze to go to waste - there were a few larger pieces, as well as a multitude of smaller (but not tiny) pieces, and so I got the idea of piecing them together and making another version of my summer, sleeveless top. Piecing this was tricky, since the gauze is crinkly, and it was hard to know how much to press it... but I also figured - low stakes. If it ends up being a bit iffy, it will make a great ensemble with the PJ bottoms, and if it works, it can be worn in public! In any case, piecing the scraps together was kind of easysewing for the little bit of sewing I did last week. (Or was it the week before?!) I am not convinced I really followed the grainlines as well as I should have, but overall I think the effect will work!

I have all the garment pieces cut out (I used a simple quilting cotton for the front facing), and I have sewn up the front. Using French seams, of course!

It should not be hard to finish it this weekend, either... but we shall see.

It was hard to sew last weekend; we had to help stay-at-home daughter become simply 'Ottawa-daughter'... as we helped her move into her own place. This is in anticipation of her procuring a puppy! We have never owned any pets (barring a Beta fish, whose life-span was fairly short). But she has done her research, and is ready to train it, and love it. I am glad it is not a grand-child - although sewing for a baby would be fun. I will NOT be sewing dog clothes, although I might create some dog accessories. We shall see. (I think she will need one of my woven mats - either for her footwear just inside her door, or for the puppy. She refused one before, but she might change her mind now! I love the mats because they use up scraps as well!)


Comments