Jeans pockets and machine woes!

I kind of got back to my jeans. I thought I would work on the back pocket topstitching. 

discard
Let's just say I am not a happy camper! This has really made me question my sewing skills. 

My 'new' machine, which I bought for using on heavier fabrics and with heavier threads just wasn't cutting it. (See photo). Is it me, or is it machines? So I have started thinking about a new machine... BUT what a challenge that will be... 






discard
  • what exactly do I want it to do?
  • do I want it to replace my main machine?
  • or do I want it to augment my main machine?
  • does my main machine actually do most stuff okay?
  • can I get a mechanical machine that does what I want, or do I need to go computerized?
  • where do I try out all of these fancy machines I hear about?
  • how do I differentiate?
  • ... and so on!
Add to this that shops specialize in one or two brands. So how do you get an honest comparison?

I think I DO know that I want something that will handle multiple layers of thick fabrics, and something that will top stitch nicely. Then of course, people ask me about my budget... Well frankly, how do you set a budget when you don't really know the price ranges! Anyway check out these ugly pockets. 

I have remade them. Because I DID mess with the bobbin tension, and then the top tension; then I did what the mechanic said - use the same thread on top as in the bobbin, and I used tissue paper to stabilize the bottom, as well as to trace my stitches. But with my 'new' machine I can't always see where the needle is because it is to the left of centre...

Then the mess where I back stitched on the first version. A machine I looked at and tried today at the Quilt show has a 'fix' feature, which just tacks a few stitches at the same place. Because with the next version of these pockets I pulled threads to the back, and knotted them, but am not confident in the knots! Fray stop has been applied!

Ande below, the final version (because final it will be.) Moderately better... but frustrating nonetheless! And you can see the fray stop used to hold the knotted threads together has seeped through!

The 'story' behind these pockets, BTW... I was inspired by the Japanese Hanko (thus the circle), and the symbol in the circle is the Hiragana  'TA' sound, for the first syllable of my name.





Comments