Carolyn PJ bottoms

 Finished another detour project. A detour project is what I do when another project just overwhelms or frustrates me! So I decided to use that Jewel linen gauze that I had been saving for one of the daughters, to make some PJ bottoms. This would fit in with the May Linen pop-up sew-along on Pattern Review. 

I traced the pattern and cut out the pieces on Saturday, and finished it Sunday evening.

Overall pleased enough. A few things I would do differently.

The cuffs puff out and are stiff; partly a rookie mistake on my part. I did a French seam to attach the front and back cuff pieces, but they all get folded to the inside when the cuff gets folded in half, making a French seam not only unnecessary, but creating extra bulk! It also made it hard to bring in the seam to get a better fit with the bottom of the leg. Who am I kidding. Not 'hard' - I just did not do it. I stretched out the leg (it is gauze, so just pull it and the wrinkles flatten). And so that also contributed to the funny shaping!

I made piping from the PJ bottoms I needed to replace, as well as the pockets. And I just took the drawstring directly (yay!). This way, it still kind of matches the PJ top. I always liked these PJs. The cotton is nice and a nice print.

Oddly, the gauze is kind of rough on the skin. I suspect that will soften with time. 

I notice in the photos that they are not quite tight enough. I think the piece of elastic that I used for the back was too big, and I have sewn it down at the sides. Maybe I will unpick that.


And in other news, I went and bought that second hand Juki DX7 today. Hopefully it is not 'good money after bad' as they say. Time will tell!

And I wish I knew how to align photos better on these pages, but am out of words, so lots of empty space between the photos! 

Second post in two days... making up for lost time!



Comments