Marta skirt (week 2)

 Moving right along, and backwards.

I keep making mistakes - sewing the wrong pieces together. Just inattention, combined with poor notches.

Last night I finished sewing all of the panels together, in the right places. I had top stitched four seams, and now had four more. I did two, and then, upon examination I noticed that they were really puckered. Depressed I put it aside, and posted it to the discussion group. 

So here, see the damage for yourselves:

This morning I received a couple of suggestions. (They do all involve unsewing, however). One is to use my walking foot (which I had not used because I wanted to use the guide on the blind hem foot), and the other was to switch the direction: sew from the widest to the narrowest part. 

Otherwise, another poster suggested (after I had admitted to another sewing error) that I could have put the front button bands on before sewing all the panels together.

That would have made things easier!

So now I have all eight panels sewn together, and will have to work with that bulk to do the band...

(PS I have now removed the top stitching on one seam, and here is the photo with no top stitching, after I pressed it. Still a bit wavy, but not as bad. I might just need to sew a straighter seam...)






Comments