Marta skirt (part 3) and Gosling shirt update

 

Sorry - no new photos today...



Well, the gods must be laughing. Back to school on Monday you say? Ha, no, take this, 50 cm of snow. Online teaching kind of gave me a bit more time, but I messed that up (with the topstitching errors of last week), and have done nothing more. The unstitching gave me a sore wrist the day after (had trouble moving the mouse, and typing!). And after being back in school from yesterday, I am feeling a bit beat. Report cards are due soon, and that eats up a whole lot of sewing time too!

Had to walk through all of this to get anywhere, too!

I still have not implemented the fix my friends at pattern review suggested for the puckering problem. There are a number of steps I need to do to move forward.

Before topstitching again I need to make sure the waist is the right size. It may be a tad larger... when you have eight seams a lot can go wrong (remember the body double error?) So i need to adjust that seam before topstitching.

I cut out the wrong front waistband. I need to cut out a different piece for the skirt than I used for the dress. It is not even traced yet.

And before I can test the waistband I need to install the button bands.

(And then, of course, there is the matter of buttons, and buttonholes. I was thinking of using the jeans buttons I bought when I was going to make jeans with a button fly, but I am not sure there are enough of those. The final step will be the hem. I plan to do a bias binding, but need to make the bias tape! Fun and games...)

So all of this domino affect has slowed me down.

As did a visit from Montreal-daughter and beau on the weekend for our Christmas visit.  We took it easy, and I was able to do the second muslin fitting for his Gosling shirt. It seems to fit really well, and he seems as excited by it as I do. He loved the sage-green linen, and that project should not take me long either. I was thinking of doing Hong Kong bindings, but might just do French seams. I don't really have anything a suitable colour for that. Also I am wondering if a self bias binding would be too heavy for the hem?

I want to get the skirt done during the January corduroy pop-up, and the shirt before a potential visit to Montreal to deliver it (and visit, of course!)

Comments