Marta skirt - final instalment!

WISDOM GAINED: As usual, take my time! But I also learned a couple of new sewing techniques. I learned to sew from the wider to the narrower part of the garment (especially true with corduroy, it seems, which puckered up when sewn from top to bottom!)


One of my favourite parts of this skirt pattern is the integrated, angled pocket. See here how the sequins reflect the sun shining through the window (that was a fluke, though!). 

How happy am I with the skirt? Moderately. It is shorter than I wanted. The top button is off centre, creating a gape in the button band between the top and the next button, and there are those puckered seams.

However, I think it will be fun to wear.

pieced fix!
In the photos I have highlighted my 'save' of my miscut. I made a mistake with one panel, cutting it shorter than the others. So I tried to pattern-match in the way I fixed it up. Funnily, I am okay with that!

I really don't know how I made it too short. I should have measured it against the skirt I was trying to emulate. I am note sure I would have had enough fabric, though, so I should just embrace a different style!

I did make a mistake with the top button hole. I must have moved the garment before I started sewing, and it was in the wrong place. I did not notice this until I had applied fray-stop.  And I had used a double thread on top (to make a fuller button hole. This is a technique I think I will use again in future.) So I carefully ripped it out; it left marks, but it is fine. Installing the jeans buttons was a bit 'tricky'. You don't want to make a mistake. And, as I said above, I did make a small one. Again, nothing dramatic!


             I have included a photo of the inside. I tried to do a mock felled seam, but with the light and the dark colours together, it does not look as tidy as I might have liked!  I have also used one of the labels I got in the Frocktails lootbag in 2019. I need to reposition it (I sewed it onto the inner waistband before attaching it, and it ended up being a bit too high.

 I still love the fabric, even if I did not position all the pieces as well as I could have. But I have to be true to myself. I want to sew sustainably. I would have probably had to waste a lot of fabric to really get all of the patterns equally balanced, and it doesn't really matter much in the bigger scheme of things. (Confession - I am not sure I would have had the patience to properly line everything up anyway!). Also with my underlining. I put an old garment to new use. Sure, I would have purchased a beige, but this way the only thing I purchased for the project was some topstitching thread. Even the jeans buttons I had. I had purchased them with my denim when I thought I would make button-fly jeans. But because I have changed my mind, this works better.  

Comments