Waste not want not

WISDOM GAINED: It takes more fabric than you would expect to cover the human bottom!

When I decommissioned my house-coat (and replaced it with the quilted house-coat), it was due to the irreparable holes in the elbows. They were getting dangerous (catching on pot handles, for example!) There was, however, plenty of good fabric left in the body, it seemed, and the only second life I could see for this was a pair of PJ bottoms. The housecoat had been a perfect gift from Aunt C., and as with other gifts, I wanted it to last as long as possible!


That seemed like a good project for this weekend - quick and dirty. I tentatively laid out the pattern pieces on the robe to gauge if I did indeed have enough, and I could tell it would be close. There would likely be a bit of patchwork required. Just like the undies, I was surprised by how much fabric this project would take. I just barely got two pairs of undies from a largish (medium) T-shirt, and here I was having trouble fitting PJ bottoms. 

First step was to remove the pockets. Ick - it seems there was close to 20 years of lint and dust caught in the creases! (And while the robe was not frequently washed, it was regularly washed!). This was a very nicely made robe, and the seam ripper was not really up to the task of unstitching seams, so I cut around the sleeves and shoulder seams. I did unstitch the facing and rip out, as much as I could, of the interfacing.



Placing the pieces did present a couple of fitting challenges, but I settled on allowing the outside edges of the back pieces overlap on the facing seam (rather than the centre front/crotch where it would have added uncomfortable seams and bulk. The stripes on the fabric allowed me to estimate the grainline.  I used the centre back panel for the front pieces, and had to stitch a piece to the bottom to get enough length. I also had to straighten the shawl collar edge where the front panels attached to the facing.

This piecing then left me with less patchwork, and less obvious patchwork, than I had thought: a patch along the upper outsides and above the lower hem. Not bad.

But as I was cutting and sewing I realized that this fabric was more worn and discoloured than I remembered. When HAD it been washed? Never mind, I persevered and thought it did not matter if it did not come out in the wash as I was not wearing these in public! But I did feel like a Victorian working class pauper, making clothes from worn out rags!

For the waist I used 3/4 inch elastic for the back half, and self-fabric ties for the front. I had to remove it to shorten the elastic, but the second time was great. I sewed two button holes to thread the ties.

The fit - well it is fine, but if I had had the original pattern I might have gone up a size. There is something a bit off with the fit, and so I will compare it to my RTW PJ bottoms, and possibly think about unstitching one of them (which is coming apart at a seam, and wearing out at the waist) to make my own pattern for future use. I had made the decision as I was placing the pattern not to make it bigger - because the fit on the fabric was tight as it was!

I am happy to report that after throwing the finished product in the wash it has come out a more uniform colour.

In keeping with the waste not want not theme, this weekend I also used up some of my boiled wool 'scraps' to make a pair of fingerless mittens for around the house. The red ones I knit are in sad shape (see a previous post Sept 7!). It was a self drafted pattern, they fit, but twist a bit on my hand.

There is something very satisfying making new things using old things! And, of course, keeping them out of the landfill. I could probably make another pair, but neither daughter likes the idea!

Finally, as an eco-activist always in search of action... I want to start a campaign to get thread companies to switch from plastic spools to.... cardboard! This should be totally do-able! Like what is supposed to happen to these now?

Empty spools....







Comments

  1. Well done, D! I keep garments that have been made with lovely fabric too, and this is a good challenge to sort through that stash again and repurpose.
    Cardboard thread spools would suit me - I have a bag of the plastic ones waiting for some craft inspiration. DB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!