Campaign against plastic spools

Still working on a few Christmas projects, so nothing to post in terms of completed projects at the moment. But I did get two letters sent off:

The text of my letter to Gutermann:

I am writing to enquire about your thread spools. I know that Gutermann has made some efforts in ecological choices and sustainability, for example in developing a recycled thread. However I wonder why Gutermann thread continues to be sold on plastic spools. I would love to see these replaced by recycled cardboard. I am convinced that a durable, recyclable, cardboard core could be created and would be more sustainable than plastic spools. I recognize that in theory the plastic spools are recyclable, but we all know that most of the plastic waste we create does NOT get recycled, even if it gets sorted into the recycling stream.

what to do with all of this?!

On a second, and related, note, I was so disappointed to see that at my local large fabric store (Fabricland Ontario), while your recycled thread is available, it is only available in a multi-pack, which is packed in plastic (clamshell). This seems to negate any of the ecological advantages of the recycled thread. I am sure there are more carbon emissions created by creating the spools and the packaging than in the actual thread. Not to mention that if a customer only wants to purchase one colour the waste of purchasing much more than that (I think it was an 8-pack, but am not certain.) 

I am really hoping that I can purchase thread on non-plastic spools in the near future, and thank you for your time.

DT


And my note to Fabricland:

I am a very longstanding Fabricland customer. I recall my first trip to Fabricland in Grade 7 (40 years ago), and I have been a regular shopper ever since.

I try to live with a low carbon footprint, and really try to avoid purchasing items in plastic. I was excited to learn recently that Gutermann makes recycled thread. I had never seen it at Fabricland, and when in my local store yesterday I mentioned this to the sales associate. She told me that indeed you do carry it, BUT it comes as a multipack, in clamshell packaging. I found this so disappointing. First of all, purchasing many spools of thread that you might not need is wasteful, but the excess packaging of the clamshell seems to negate any ecological advantages of purchasing recycled thread! 

I don't know if this packaging was prepared for Fabricland specifically, or if this is the only way Gutermann makes it available, but I would beg you to use your purchasing clout to get Gutermann to choose more sustainable packaging.

(I would like to see them switch to a cardboard spool, as well, which would be an amazing development; perhaps you can ask them about that, as well.)

Thank you for your time!

Comments