Shopping my stash

 I have had a quiet sewing week. Grading takes up much of my weekends at this time of year. But I have quietly been drafting and trialling undergarments from t-shirts. Shhh. Eccentric, I know, but I got the idea from JL whose friend is doing this from surplus event t-shirts. I am not ready to show what I have made, yet, but it is kind of fun. Lots of learning - sewing with knits, sew-in elastic, ....

I have not yet found a stand for my body double. Okay - let's be honest. I have not looked again. It would be nice if someone decided to make me the stand for Christmas. (But I don't think that someone is reading my blog!)

My friend DB recently used the expression 'shopping one's closet' and I liked that. I used it to prompt me to do the retro-fit shirtdress. Currently I am hoping to shop my stash. I don't have a huge stash, but I do have fabric purchased but never, or only partially, used. I came upon this embellished corduroy that I have had since we lived in Germany. And we have been back about 15 years. 

I bought three variations on this fabric. I made each of my daughters a pair of pants, but never got around to sewing the third one. Who knows what I thought I would make, but I now have an idea.


This purple one just had straight embroidery.

But the brown and the beige have embroidery with 'sequins'. I have been wondering how to pre-wash the beige piece, but I must have washed the brown pants... so it should not be a worry!

I have an idea for this now, though. A long(ish) A-line skirt. I can use the Marta pattern (it can be made as a skirt only). It has the right lines that I want, a contoured waist-band, interesting pockets... I just need to lengthen it.

Another project for my queue!


If anyone can imagine this as anything else, do let me know!











Comments