Dress form drama

 Dress form drama, distress, disaster.... 

An extra post this week to discuss!

Wisdom gained: a 1/8 inch mistake times eight, times two for each side = a whopping two inches.

Yep - I misread the seam allowance and sewed 4/8 instead of 3/8, and with eight panels, each losing a1/8 inch on each side, I have a mini-me dress form in the making.

GOOD GRIEF!!!

Here she is, half filled, awaiting my next decision. She is also fairly lumpy (my chest is flatter...and I do mean my chest and not necessarily my bust.)

How could I make such a stupid mistake? And what am I going to do?

I thought of just finishing the stuffing, and then making a padded dress form cover (pattern available at bootstrap). But then I would have to buy some knit fabric...

So I think I will just unstitch, and if there are any pieces that don't survive well (the armhole covers which I had to trim, come to mind!), I can re-cut select pieces only.

I don't want to undo the neck... could I work around that, I wonder?

I guess if the unstitching doesn't work, I just start over again, and buy more interfacing (I was shocked at how expensive it is. Oh well.) I have enough fabric to make a whole new form.


 And I can't even blame the instructions for this. I can only blame myself. 

I am still looking for a coat rack on which she is supposed to stand. Obviously I have given myself time for that! I did go to Value Village today. What a treasure chest! I had not seen so many people in one store in a loooong time! But they have everything there. Just in case you are interested, I bought a replacement pyrex pie plate to replace one which broke and can't be found new in stores any more.


Look there is the seam line. I measured it. Yep - 3/8 inch. 














Comments