Jeans dilemma

 JEANS DILEMMA

(Actually there are two different dilemmas facing me. One being that I have more clothes than I realized. I need to 'shop my closet' it seems!)


When I ordered this upcycled denim from CoreFabric, I did so impulsively. I assumed I would use the Morgan jeans pattern, since my friend Dianne had done these. And they are well reviewed in terms of the drafting and instructions (and the possibility of doing the online course).

But when I looked more closely at the pattern lines I realized - not my style. Although I have a pair of 7/8 length 'boyfriend' jeans which I like, I prefer a slim fit on my regular length jeans. 

The Dawn jeans by Megan Nielson (also with good reviews) are slim, but have a high waist. I prefer a lower waist.

Then I saw the Claryville jeans (very well reviewed as well) by Workroom social, which have a line and cut that appeal to me, but they are designed for denim with some stretch (1 - 3 % spandex). And also for wearers with a larger hip to waist ratio. I do not, it seems.... I am at a size 10 waist and size 4 hips. Plus, the Claryville uses a straight waistband, and I am now a convert to a contoured waistband. And they have a zip fly, and I have already purchased the button fly hardware kit 😕

So if I want to use the Morgan pattern, I would have to completely reshape the leg width - possibly ruining the entire line.

If I use the Dawn jeans I have to mess with lowering the waist, which will be complicated; I would have to work below the yoke, and would have to readjust the buttons for the button fly, as well.

And if I use the Claryville jeans I am not sure which size to select and how they would adapt to the (apparently very) rigid denim (although there seem to be some people who have done this successfully), and apply a contoured waistband (a change I did for my recent cigarette style pants).

I also have an OLD (discontinued) McCall's pattern for 'how to make and fit 5 hour jeans'. The advantage to this pattern is that it is already in my possession, but these are high-waisted and loose fitting. And the pattern is a size smaller than ideal.

There is no hurry for this project (see below about too many clothes); I was thinking of doing it slowly over the winter. But if anyone has any advice, I am all ears!


As for the too many clothes dilemma ...  I sorted through my closet and found items I had more or less forgotten about, items which I knew I no longer liked, or items of sentimental value. I have made a small pile to donate, and should wear the others more often. But it does mean that I don't really need to sew... How sad.

Comments

  1. Hey Danielle, sometimes needing to sew is not needing the clothes, it is needing to create! The Morgan jeans are a great starting point for traditional denim. I would suggest making a muslin and adjusting the leg width as the side seams are the easiest bit to change. The curved waistband, button fly and other fitting elements around the waist and bottom are really well covered by Closet Core. Expressing my bias here, as I am wearing my Morgans now....
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!