Welcome 2 (a bit about me)

Some background (but not too much).

I have sewn since I learned how, at school, in grade 7. I also took a course at the Singer sewing machine shop, and have sewn on and off ever since. And when I look back at some of the things I made and wore - yikes! I can follow a pattern, I can make some alterations (getting a bit better). I can use advanced sewing techniques. But I want to learn how to do more pattern drafting and be much more conscientious about my finishing. (E.G. buttonholes! patch pockets...). (Photo used courtesy of creative commons; it is NOT me learning to sew!) (Source: Herman Heijenbrock, draughtsman, Nederlands (1871–1948) ;  Credit: Rijksmuseum)

I also enjoy other fiber crafts - knitting and, most recently rug making (twining). 

Other things about me - I love to learn languages. Je suis bilingue anglais-français depuis ma naissance.  So why do the blog in English? My social life is mostly English, and my sewing experience has been predominantly English. But language choices are political, and I feel like a traitor to the cause! I also speak conversational German (rusty now!) and conversational Japanese (also rusty). When visiting and living in other countries I have loved engaging with the local sewing life. When living in German I had to replace my trusted Singer sewing machine which had been a high school graduation gift from my late mother. I bought a fairly basic Elna 2130, mechanical, front-loading bobbin. The instruction manual is in German, so I miss out some of the details! In Japan I remember buying patterns without realizing the seam allowance was not included. Oops!

I try to live an ecological lifestyle. We don't own a car (but have regular access when needed); we try to shop zero-waste; we keep our house cool in winter (more on that in a post about keeping warm at home!). 

In my sewing I hate throwing away the bits! I am increasingly becoming more make-do (but not entirely) about using cloth I have. I adapted Closet Core's free 'scrap busting poof' pattern to make this simple poof with material I have had since my FIRST apartment where it served as a curtain, and stuffed with bits! I was careless - my circle was less than circular, and I notice it is not as stuffed as some of the gorgeous poofs I have seen on Closet Core's site, but I can always stuff it some more! 

I keep all the hardware from bags which must be discarded, and used a salvage zipper here, too! 



My plan is to post my first sewing post tomorrow, and then every week or two. I have a few drafts lined up. The first one will be my wearable muslin of the Kalle tunic.






Comments