Vacation report - Vancouver & Vancouver Island

 I have been basically off-grid for two weeks, so no sewing!

Beachy sunset

BUT, I did visit several fabric shops AND put some of my me-made garments through their paces!

I wore the "amazing technicolour dream-coat" for travelling and general outerwear. The zippered welt pocket I had made was perfect for the boarding pass, and occasionally the phone!

The turquoise wool jersey 'base layer' (long johns and sleeved top) were very warm for sleeping. It was actually quite cool at night in the tent, so I still had to wear another layer overtop, but the difference between the nights I did not wear this, and when I did was noticeable!

I wore the newest wool jersey long johns once as an 'evening' wear 😁(i.e. dry afterkayaking, but not for sleeping!) I have to fix a hole in the seam - apparently I did not catch both sides with the serger for a very short bit.

The rain pants... what to say about the rain pants?

It is hard to know how waterproof they are since water got up the leg from the ankle (from stepping into calf-deep water to embark on the kayak), and from the waistband. Not sure how: we had kayak 'skirts' which kept water out, but somehow it dripped in. 

Disappointingly, though, the fit is off. The waistband is too low in the back (probably front too, but most noticeable in the back.) I wore them over a pair of self-made merino wool long johns (from last winter), a RTW pair of quick dry pull-on pants. The latter went up higher than the rainpants, and it became annoyingly uncomfortable! I may remove the waistband and add some kind of yoke. .. stay tuned!

I also swam a few times, wearing the tankini from last summer.

The trip was fantastic, though.

We stayed one night in Vancouver. We arrived early on the first day, andafter wandering around on the sea wall at Stanley Park, my travelling companion and our host agreed that we could make an outing to Our Social Fabric, which is a charity that sells deadstock (true deadstoc) and other donated fabrics and supplies. I have ordered from them before (my bamboo rayon knit and the rain-pants neo-shell are from there).  It opens at 3pm on Thursday. We hopped on a bus which took us through... what, the saddest sight. The lower East-side of Vancouver is known for its trouble with drugs, and overdoses. I had not expected to see it all on display for everyone to see along West Hastings Street. More than ten blocks of ... I can't even call them encampments... many many people obviously living in squalor. So shocking in this country. It left me speechless and frustrated.


Fabric precuts at OSF

We got to Our Social Fabric at around 3:10 (not easy to find; it is in a kind of warehouse location, and finding the small door took a moment!). I thought it would be quiet. But no, it was already quite packed with customers. And what a fascinating selection of fabrics! No bolts (or maybe a few, but mostly precuts). Well organized, but you kind of have to know what you want.

I bought some more red neoshell... to make a jacket... some red spandex - at that price I can muslin a swim suit! And two small cuts of a linen blend knit. Will make a nice 't-shirt'.

Small fabric haul.

We camped a couple of nights on one of the Gulf Islands (Saturna)... I loved travelling the ferries! Then after a night in Victoria did a bit of a camping tour of the island. A night in Cowichan Provincial Park, then on to Campbell River to visit Discovery Fabrics. Sadly, I forgot to take a photo there. They were VERY nice, and I got a tour of all the fabrics. Of course I barely remember the qualities of the fabrics I ended up purchasing! Which were a stretch woven for some hiking/camping pants, and some performance fabric designed to keep you cool even when you are sweating, to make a running shirt for the resident entomologist. I need to decide between the Azuki pants with many pockets by Waffle (I like it, except for the high rise waist. BUT, after my low-rise waist with my rain-pants, I may need to reconsider), or getting a custom fitted  pattern from Pattern Adventure. (The price goes up when you ave to pay a bit more for each special feature...). If anyone has advice on this choice, please let me know!


floating above Elk Falls

At Campbell River we stayed at Elk Falls Provincial Park where there were bears wandering the Quinsom river for the plentiful salmon! And a cougar sighting from a week or so before (Yikes!). Also a walk to the beautiful Elk Falls, and across the suspension bridge. Above the falls found a place to float (not swim, though).

Then on towards the West coast. A night at Qualicum Provincial Park, not far from Cathedral Grove, and a lovely walk along a little river, and, of course, more waterfalls!

Gorgeous backdrop for a swim Cameron Lake!

On our way West, we stopped at the nearby Cameron Lake, such clear water, sandy bottom, for a ... let's say refreshing swim (about 15 minutes of swimming... we did have places to go!) Once again, in my me-made tankini. (Not an especially flattering shot of me, but beautiful backdrop!)

On to Tofino for one night. Took a surf lesson there the next morning (!). Ottawa daughter predicted we would be sore the next day for kayaking. I was... I couln't put my hands behind my back to do the kayak skirt! But we had a blast! There is, sadly, no photo evidence. I was not able to get to standing, or even crouching (but I did get on my knees)....

We had lunch at the beautiful Wikaninnish Inn with a family friend who works there. A delicious meal in another beautiful environment!


The next morning was on to our 3 night/4 day guided kayak camping excursion with Wildheart Adventures. Such a lovely and fun trip. Weather was variable, and we did get fairly wet at times, but well guided, well-fed...

Some amazing old-growth pockets of forest which just seem enchanted!

Amazingly large cedars!

Lovely scenery

Kayaks...


Comments

  1. What a wonderful adventure, combining several beloved hobbies and good friends. You must feel quite rejuvenated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!