Utility apron, projects on deck

 Serious sewing time now begins!

School's out not just for the summer, but for a year (for me!). Plans... sewing and some travel. Short term plans - sewing!

This week I made an unplanned project. My guest admired my sewing apron and thought she could use one as a teacher apron. So I hopped on it, and finished in a couple of days!

I upcyled jeans, and used some African Wax print said friend had gifted me. I think it looks fabulous, if I do say so myself!

Are there a few things I wish were different? Sure:

  • wish I had left more space at the top so that the waist band could wrap around the top of the apron
  • wish I had used white thread in the bobbin when I sewed down the waistband (the blue thread shows up on the band at the top)
  • wish I had more rivets

It is even reversible, kind of! It might look funny reversed if you have things in the pocket, but it could work if one wanted a more colourful look!



 
see... reversible!


Rivets add a touch of class!














So here is my current queue:
  • Cargo shorts for the resident entomologist (muslin first) (Jalie 2107)
  • summer weight pullover for resident entomologist (Jalie 2212, previously sewn in winter weight)
  • Itch to Stitch (ITS) Santorini tank top (muslin first) for me. Possibly use the Ghana fabric...
  • Mitchell pants (need to get back to them!)
  • Corduroy jean jacket (ITS Atenas, with the cord I bought at the fabric flea market)
  • ITS Bonn shirt with shifty chiffon fabric (basically a muslin)

blurry photo ... 


CARGO SHORTS
This week's episode of the Great British Sewing Bee (Season 2023, episode 7) featured Cargo pants in the 'pattern challenge'. They had 4.5 hours to make up the pattern. It contained two proper bellows cargo pockets, with flaps and buttons, but no front pockets, and the waist band was a casing for an elastic, but it did have a fly zip.  Inspiration? Once the fit is verified, I could do mine in a day? Granted, they don't finish the seams, and I have the front pockets to do (but simple pleated patch pocket, not a bellows)!
I made a really quick and ugly muslin, and am waiting to assess the fit.




PULLOVER
Bamboo French terry
I purchased some gorgeous Bamboo French Terry for this in two colours. I guestimated that I could do with one full metre and one half-metre. It was close; especially since the one metre ended up being less than 90cm. I did go back and they cut a new piece. I had to cut one of the arm pieces (in the contrast colour) in two and piece them together, but I am getting used to piecing!












Nice side button ploacket
TANKTOP
I muslined this top, and decided I had selected the wrong size. I will need to retrace it, but also lower the princess seam bust apex. I was a bit disappointed in this development but reminded myself - this is why I make muslins! I think I will shorten the top, as well. I really like the shaping of this top.

Princess seams

Comments

  1. You are very productive! Love the teacher's apron -- I can imagine it being very useful. I'm looking forward to seeing the ITS completed. It is a lovely pattern. KarenTN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!