Rag rugs, Mitchell muslin, Marie-Claude muslin

 Not much sewing last weekend - feeling unwell.

And then this week I needed to finish preparing for the rag-rug weaving workshop at school.

Rag-rug workshop

This went well. That is to say,it went well after the first workshop... I prepared the warp on my looms, but the first group of students had to start the weft. And that is tricky because you can easily mess it up. If you put the piece in between the loops instead of within the loops created by the nail, it won't stay in! So that took a while. The next few groups picked it up quickly and were able to move more quickly after that first row.

Teaching the technique was a bit of a challenge, but some kids picked it up really quickly.... others preferred to watch.

So we did NOT finish any rugs during the day (my hope was that cumulatively we would be able to!

Here are a couple of photos!




Mitchell muslin for me
I traced the pattern last week, and finally cut out the muslin this weekend. I spent some time thinking about how to make the legs narrower, without really messing up the line. I had done it on Australia-daughter's pants, but can't remember how. So I decided to cut them as designed, and then adjust the width with the muslin.

I am looking forward to getting a pair or two of these done for me. I will make one pair with the black textured cotton I got before Christmas, hoping that Ottawa daughter would want a pair too. Nope. Then the pièce de résistance - with the tropical wool blue and black check I got in Montreal.

But first, of course, getting that leg width manageable!

Jalie Marie Claude muslin
I want to use the wool jersey I bought in Montreal to make an under-layer top and bottom set. I could have used the Jalie 2805, but thought I change would be fun, so I got the Marie-Claude - a raglan T. 

I made up a muslin in the leftover 't-shirt knit' I got for muslins. It looks pretty good; hard to know about fit with a raglan T, and also how it converts from one fabric to the other...





Other fun stuff!

I quickly stopped in at the Fabric Flea market last Saturday. I did not have much time, but nabbed a super-long length of a printed corduroy (6 yards, apparently!) for a good price. It smelled a bit musty, so cut it in half, washed it, and hung it outside for two days. What on earth can I make with that much cord? I am thinking of another Brownie jumper, and maybe  a short jacket. But NOT to be worn together!

I also did some organizing in the sewing room. We got a new china cabinet and moved the old cabinet into the sewing room, allowing me to get a few things off of the floor.
Hoping to get the Mitchell muslin done this week, and then maybe onto a wearable pair next week! Fingers crossed...





Comments