Brownie tunic dress

I finished it!

It could have been a quick-sew, but with all of that flatlining and plaid matching... it was slow-sewing. 

Which, frankly, is what I SHOULD be doing!

I am quite satisfied with the result. I did NOT match up the bodice and skirt pattern, and I am okay with that. Really!

Working with this brushed plaid was interesting. It sometimes felt like working with wool - so good practice. The dress is hefty - with the underlining it is quite heavy. 

And super fun to wear.... playful?

In the end the horizontal pattern matching was very good, if I say so myself.

And so was the installation of my invisible zipper (truly invisible, thanks to a tutorial that andother pattern review member mentioned in a review). I only had a tiny bit of trouble with the top of the dress above the zip not quite matching up. Easily fudged!

I had trouble with the hem. It puckers, but it should not. (Just on the inside, as in the folded over part is a bit bigger than the part it is sewn to.) I used some bias binding on the edge, to give it a nice clean look without a double fold-over. I used the steel blue linen (from the Christmas PJ sets) for the facing. Happy with that. Used a sily polyester for the underlining. Hard to work with... hard to press!

I am wondering if I should not have made it a bit longer. I just am not sure WHERE I sould lengthen it. There are no shorten lengthn lines (I don't think). 


Invisible zip! nicely matched!




cute sleeve cap with pleat


Comments