Not with a bang, but a whimper - Liberty shirt is done!

 I am happy to announce that I finished the "Liberty" shirt. Am I happy with it? Yes. Am Ithrilled... not really.

As I wrote in my review on Pattern Review - the more time you spend with a project, and the higher the stakes, the more you expect from it - and it is bound to disappoint a bit! Ultimately I feel that I did a better job on the second wearable muslin.

Biggest gripes:  I am not happy with the sleeve cap on this pattern hack (WAY too much ease provided; impossible to make it lie flat enough!).

And even though I had practised, and looked it up - princess seams with a French seam are a bit hit or miss!

BUT the fit is good, the fabric is lovely, and it is very wearable.

And even though I sewed the sleeve placet on backward (sshhh, don't tell!), I love the French cuff sleeves!







So now it is off to the races with five pairs of summer PJ sets for Christmas gifts. PJ sets which may not be much appreciated by their recipients, though!

I was planning to make them all the same size. As I was working on the first top (using the Kelly watch the stars pattern), I wondered if it might not be a bit snug. So I asked Ottawa daughter to try it on. The fit is okay (a tiny big snug for PJs, but not too bad), but I will trace the next size for the three I have not cut out yet. I may need to enlarge the one I have cut out, but we will put that aside!

Ottawa daughter was very critical of the colour. She called it grey (it is spruce green!). And the linen is a bit stiff (it is still new!)

I am making good use of the remnants from my second wearable muslin. These are mostly photos of a work in progress, obviously. I have just finished the bottom hem on the top (no photo), and I only have the elastic and ties for the waist to do on the shorts. I need to purchase the elastic, so that is stalled there for now! On the next pair I want to do a bit better on the  pipint; I want to make it more even (you can't tell in this photo that it is a bit wavy!)

I did not enlarge the seam allowance of the top, so had to abandon the French seams, but will be finishing those seams on all sets with the serger. Still doing French seams, and a hong kong seam for the curved centre back, on the shorts. 

I think these will be adorable.




I DID want to work on my jacket this month too (V1865 with the houndstooth linen. But am having more doubts. I am not sure what I will be able to wear that jacket with, other than blue jeans... In the meantime I have found an adorable jumper-type dress that could be made with this linen. Good thing I have a few other projects to keep me busy while I mull that one!














Comments

  1. I love those shorts! It’s Sarah BTW, can’t figure out how to make it say my name instead of “anonymous”…..👵🏻

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a message. I am happy to hear from you. If you post anonymously feel free to leave your first name!