Carolyn PJ pants - take 2

A number of years ago I got to the mall on my bike and noticed a rip in my shorts. Uh oh!

I went to Zellers (This tells you how long ago; it was before Target OR Walmrt took over that location. At least... I think it was Zellers and not Target).  In any case, I found a pair of shorts which I really ended up liking; they were a cargo short, with some nice design features.

I have worn them so much that they have worn a hole in them, and  so have another pair of my regular use shorts, so I thought I would replace them by making some.

So I bought some striped cotton/linen blend fabric a couple of weeks ago randomly buying 1.5 metres, thinking that would be enough. But in the meantime I can't find a suitable pattern. And I was thinking of participating in the Endless combinations contest at pattern review, and wanted to make the bottoms to go with my new top. (You need to make four items, each new item matching the previously made item. Obviously I won't be entering!)

But I decided that cargo shorts would have to wait, and wondered if I could squeeze in the Carolyn PJ bottoms out of 1.5 metres. I laid it all out one day and saw that yes, I could if I laid it all out flat in a single layer. I would not be able to do the pockets, but I intended to do those in a contrast anyway.

In the meantime I could not find the traced pattern. D. dropped the original off during a walk  last Sunday (when I was suffering miserably from allergy to Ottawa daughter's new puppy!). I ended up finding the envelope - it had slipped beside the plastic drawers that I had placed it on! This would save me time - I would not have to retrace the pattern. Yay!

So yesterday, Saturday, I finally had some time to get set up and cut out my pattern. Somehow, I could not make it all fit this time. So ended up tracing a second piece of each leg so that I could see how much space they were taking without having to move the pattern pieces. Still no go. BUT hey - I can get around that; I did one back leg in two pieces, using the same Bogagi method I had used in the top....

I sewed it up today; slow and steady! It is not as nice as I had imagined, though! I was imagining elegant, lounge-style pants that I could wear out and about. Since I had used the upcycled kimono for the contrast I imagined wearing it with the sleeveless top I made for frocktails. Well, maybe. And for some reason they feel a bit snugger than the first pari.

here you can see the pieced leg
 But four more days of school until sewing camp! (I have so many things to sew this summer:

  • the purple rayon top which I cut out thinking it could be garment three for the contest;
  • the Liberty shirt
  • the swimming leggings
  • cargo shorts (I bought some nice cotton for that; still hoping!)
  • the silk ensemble for the wedding (I really need to take another look at the patterns for that plan; my photos of other garments are not looking as nice as in my head!)
  • the houndstooth linen asymetrical jacket
  • the bamboo knit dress.
And whatever else pops up!







Comments